Darnell's Black Radio Guide

Darnell's Black Radio Guide - Message Bo   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Darnell's Black Radio Guide - Message Bo » General » General » Terrestrial banding together to promote themselves

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Terrestrial banding together to promote themselves
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for darnell   Author's Homepage   Email darnell         Edit/Delete Post 
Today's Wall Street Journal has an article titled Terrestrial-Radio Firms Get Serious. The terrestrial stations have banded together and launched major ad campaign. It is ultimately an attempt to get people to like free radio over sat radio although they never say it. The companies will be putting up $28 million of their airtime and there will also be a print campaign.

The campaign tagline: "Radio -- you hear it here first"

They also plan to speed up rollout of digital broadcasting technology.

This is starting to look like the Cable versus Sat TV battles.

Posts: 1673 | From: Suwanee, GA, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.C.Bailey
Member # 637

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D.C.Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email D.C.Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
When will the broadcasters finally realize that if
they were to concentrate on programming instead of
technology they'd have nothing to worry about.
Last time it was AM stereo. Now it's IBOC (HD),
which can't even be used after sunset on AM. Not
to mention the costs associated with making the
transition and end up with a maximum bit-rate of
96Kbps (digitally compressed audio is considered
CD quality at 128Kbps). I honestly feel that there
is a lot more behind this HD crap than those that
stand behind it are admitting. At least three fac-
tors come to mind but for the sake of space I'll
refrain from going into details (at least at this
point in the thread). Maybe someone else might get
into the "real" reasons why the mega broadcasters
are so bullish on HD radio. If so, I'd be happy to
join in. If satellite radio does end up making an
impact on terrestrial broadcasters' listenership
share(s) that would speak very poorly for conven-
tional broadcasters.

DC Bailey
Century Broadcasting

Posts: 78 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for darnell   Author's Homepage   Email darnell         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm guessing 3 reaons why there is a big push to HD. And they are the same 3 reasons why I think there has been a push for HDTV.

1) New technology requires new hardware. That means sales, so hardware makers and all related parties get a brand new revenue stream.

2) Content control. With the digital broadcast they will probably be able to broadcast "no copy" flags when new releases come out to keep them from being copied digitally prior to a set date.

3) More deregulation. The digital spectrum allows for more channels. Any weak stations will become more diluted and the bigs will still be in the game. Although there will be more competition it will create a rush for more stations. Growing the number of stations bigs have control over.

On the flip side (for consumers) the HD option offers a better signal and more stations to choose from. Because what is 1 signal now can become 5 under a digital broadcast signal. The digital broadcast may bring with it new features. Sat radio is already working on video in their broadcast.

With the new stations 1 FM signal would become a possible 5 in HD and might make for new jobs in broadcasting. While it probably will be easier to run a station it may offer more personalities a shot.

Those are just my suspicions.

Posts: 1673 | From: Suwanee, GA, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Darnell's Black Radio Guide Front Page | Privacy Statement

copyrightę 2004 by Mountain Top Enterprises LLC, All Rights Reserved.