Darnell's Black Radio Guide

Darnell's Black Radio Guide - Message Bo   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Darnell's Black Radio Guide - Message Bo » General » General » Michael Baisden

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Michael Baisden
cward
Member # 21

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cward   Email cward         Edit/Delete Post 
I just found out Michael Baisden's show is coming here to WBAV beginning Jan. 31. Can anyone tell me what I should expect from his show?
Posts: 60 | From: Charlotte | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe D
Member # 752

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe D           Edit/Delete Post 
He's kind of a mix of Judge Mathis, Montel Williams, and Tavis Smiley... You'll find some clips at www.987kissfm.com

His claim to fame is a book he wrote called "Love, Lust, and Lies". He bills himself as the BAD BOY Michael Baisden.

He's coming to Philadelphia, Chicago and probably some other cities as well on the 31st.

CC is really running scared in Philly. They're about to destroy WDAS FM after losing TJMS to R1's WRNB. It seems their response to losing TJMS show is to make up for it by bringing in Michael Baisden. (I guess they're doing the same thing in Charlotte.)

Posts: 73 | From: Delaware (A little closer to Philly than BMore) | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarkP
Member # 927

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarkP   Author's Homepage   Email MarkP         Edit/Delete Post 
I think WDAS would be better off with a local Philly-centric show
Posts: 127 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe D
Member # 752

Member Rated:
I look for Michael Baisden to move to mornings within the next year across the country if he is the least bit successful in syndication.

I can look no further than Doug Banks as an example. He started in the afternoons.

Posts: 73 | From: Delaware (A little closer to Philly than BMore) | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.C.Bailey
Member # 637

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D.C.Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email D.C.Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MarkP:
I think WDAS would be better off with a local Philly-centric show

Well of course it would (if done properly) but to
do that would mean spending a lot more money. The
only reason drive-time syndication exists is due
to the fact that it saves a station lots of cash.
As a matter of fact, a handful of large market
stations aren't required to pay anything if it al-
lows a syndicated program exposure to a large mar-
ket (on a highly-rated station). This is when it's
done on a barter basis. The program gets their ads
run in a large market and the station gets the
program, including time set aside for local ad a-
vails. It's a win-win situation! Who cares if it's
not local. We'll run local traffic reports and
maybe a couple of headlines each hour and nobody
will know the difference (some PD's actually be-
lieve this).

DC Bailey
Century Broadcasting

Posts: 78 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SMH62
Member # 1012

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SMH62   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Frankly, I rather hear 'DAS air WRKS's (NYC) Soul Chronicles hosted by Felix Hernandez. Not sure if this is available in syndication, but it is one of the FINEST programs I've ever heard. Of course, it's only once a week on Sundays so not really a suitable alternative to this Michael Baisden thing...
Posts: 3 | From: Bucks Co, PA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terryj
Member # 1025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terryj   Email Terryj         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a crime. Gary Shepherd was the class of afternoon radio. I've listened to Michael Baisden and am offended by it. What a shame.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe D
Member # 752

Member Rated:
Michael Baisden will be the new afternoon host on WHUR beginning in April. [Mad 2] I can't believe it! ABC radio must be offering an incredible deal to these Urban AC's acoss the country. Even though WHUR hasn't done great numbers since TJMS left there several years ago. His show is the radio equivalent to Maury, Jerry Springer and the rest. Who listens to this garbage? Love, Lust and Lies. Is he not being groomed to take on Tom Joyner in the AM across the country?

Would a radio company like ABC Radio be willing to share a percentage of national radio ad revenue with stations in the larger markets just to get Baisden in that city? To me why would you want Baisden in the PM, if you have a strong AM drive show that you can use to sell the rest of the day? How can you generate enough revenue if you go syndication in the morning and afternoon? Are there any stations doing that?

cward
Member # 21

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cward   Email cward         Edit/Delete Post 
So what's happening to the afternoon show on 'HUR?
Posts: 60 | From: Charlotte | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jungleprincess
Member # 1032

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jungleprincess           Edit/Delete Post 
Terry..I feel the same way..I turn my radio off when he comes on..I listen to 103.9 gospel..I like 107..but it will not come in clear in my office..I listen to TJMS over internet..

"""""I think it's a crime. Gary Shepherd was the class of afternoon radio. I've listened to Michael Baisden and am offended by it. What a shame.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Darnell's Black Radio Guide Front Page | Privacy Statement

copyrightę 2004 by Mountain Top Enterprises LLC, All Rights Reserved.