Darnell's Black Radio Guide

Darnell's Black Radio Guide - Message Bo   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Darnell's Black Radio Guide - Message Bo » General » General » Clear Channel expanding Liberal talk format

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clear Channel expanding Liberal talk format
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for darnell   Author's Homepage   Email darnell         Edit/Delete Post 
Jackson's show keeps hope alive for liberals

It is not in the article linked above but in another article I read a Clear Channel rep said basically they are about what makes them money. If Liberal talk has a strong demand they want to be there to meet that demand.

Posts: 1673 | From: Suwanee, GA, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe D
Member # 752

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe D           Edit/Delete Post 
Why are liberal talk shows like the stuff on Air America automatically associated with what the African American listener wants to hear? Of course it's much better than the Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity type shows. But is a liberal agenda always an African-American agenda?

I say no.

I also say it is disrespectful to think all of us think, act and behave in a certain way. Especially if a company like CC sees this as a way to make money. I'm offended.

Inner City Broadcasting out of NYC has become an affilate of Air America with their heritage AMs
WLIB in NY and WHAT in Philadelphia. I course these stations are struggling to survive, while most of us rather listen to syndicated garbage in the morning (TJMS, Star and Buc Wild) and afternoon (Wendy Williams, Michael Baisden).

Anyway I recently rediscovered a show on the internet that is truly about the African American agenda on WHAT in Philadlephia.

The show is hosted by Reggie Bryant. He has been shifted to the 10PM to 1AM shift while the syndicated Air America and Bev Smith rule the airwaves earlier in the day.

Reggie use to host the show Black Perspective on the News back in the late 70's to early 80's on PBS. Garrett Morris use to do a parody of him on SNL.

I urge anyone who wants to know what is really going on in this country and world to tune him in M-F 10pm-1am EST.

Here's the link: www.what1340i.com

Posts: 73 | From: Delaware (A little closer to Philly than BMore) | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D.C.Bailey
Member # 637

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D.C.Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email D.C.Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
Clear Channel is testing the waters here in the
San Francisco/Oakland Metro. They moved a profit-
able Adult Standards formated KABL (one of the
few stations here to still utilize the high-pro-
file air personalities that were big in the 60's
such as Jim Lange of Dating Game fame) from 960 AM
to 92.1 FM and replaced it with progressive talk
"The Quake". The down-side is that KABL is now on
a class A FM channel licensed to Concord, which is
located on the other side of a large mountain
range in the East Bay. 92.1 has never been useable
on "this" side of the mountain where most radio
listening takes place. So much so that virtually
all of the metro's commercial stations rely on FM
booster stations (and a few remaining translaters)
in order to reach listeners on the Concord side of
the range. Of course there is a lot of billboard
placement for the new talk station (mostly on CC's
billboards) and an equal amount of cross promotion
from other CC stations. Have yet to sample the new
station so I can't say whether or not most of the
programming is local or syndicated. With the addi-
tion of "The Quake" the metro now has six talk
outlets, all on AM.

DC Bailey
Century Communications

Posts: 78 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for darnell   Author's Homepage   Email darnell         Edit/Delete Post 
When most of a demographic polls a certain way they are automatically associated with those results. Although I also find it a bit insulting it is the way it is. And it happens to any demographic. Imagine being 20 years old and wanting something other than the "smut rotation" to target people in your age group.

What is "better than" and the "African American agenda" really are all a matter one's of opinion. Now as it was in the 60s and always has been Blacks each have our own views as individuals of what is best. No group is monolithic. But you can be sure Clear Channel and others will do what they need to do in order to ensure enough of any marketable demographic is listening to their stations [Big Grin] [Razz 2] .

Posts: 1673 | From: Suwanee, GA, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarkP
Member # 927

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarkP   Author's Homepage   Email MarkP         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't Radio One own WHAT-AM? if so, that might be the only station they are currently streaming. Of course, it's talk only.
Posts: 127 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Radio One does not list them as one of their stations and FCC records show "URBAN RADIO I, L.L.C.".
MarkP
Member # 927

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarkP   Author's Homepage   Email MarkP         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, that would explain why they are streaming.
Posts: 127 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaleo23
Member # 964

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaleo23   Email jaleo23         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Inner City Broadcasting Corporation owns WHAT-AM in Philly. The same company that owns 107.5 WBLS New York, KBLX Oakland CA, and some stations in Mississippi and South Carolina
Posts: 54 | From: Birmingham (AL) | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe D
Member # 752

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe D           Edit/Delete Post 
WHAT is owned by ICBI,Holdings which stands for Inner City Broadcasting, Inc. ... Their main station is 107.5 WBLS...This is the group that is headed by Percy Sutton and his sons...Which owns the Apollo in Harlem...There was a time years ago when they owned WDAS AM & FM...However during that time they did not own WHAT...There's rumblings about Radio One buying out Inner City because they don't have any stations in NYC...
Posts: 73 | From: Delaware (A little closer to Philly than BMore) | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarkP
Member # 927

Member Rated:
Thanks for the helpful clarification!
D.C.Bailey
Member # 637

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D.C.Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email D.C.Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
Inner City Broadcasting (WBLS(FM)/WLIB(AM) NYC, KBLX(FM)/KVTO(AM) Berkeley and WHAT(AM) Philly) is
a Black owned media company which was founded back
in the early eighties by Percy Sutton and well known fifties and sixties radio personality Hal Jackson, now considered by many to be a radio legend. He is probably best known for hosting the annual "Miss Bronze USA" Black beauty contest that
was televised via an ad-hoc network of television
stations during the sixties. I believe he may have
been the first Black radio announcer for radio
station WLIB in New York but I may be mistaken. It
could have been another radio station or another
person.

DC Bailey
Century Broadcasting

Posts: 78 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Darnell's Black Radio Guide Front Page | Privacy Statement

copyrightę 2004 by Mountain Top Enterprises LLC, All Rights Reserved.