Darnell's Black Radio Guide

Darnell's Black Radio Guide - Message Bo   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Darnell's Black Radio Guide - Message Bo » General » General » 106.3 The Beat is no More in Des Moines

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 106.3 The Beat is no More in Des Moines
MarkP
Member # 927

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for MarkP   Author's Homepage   Email MarkP         Edit/Delete Post 
Ironically it was doing quite well in the ratings but mostly to the detriment of another Clear Channel station, the top 40.

Still there is KJMC (with very little to no rap). By the way KJMC finally has a website (partially) up.

http://www.kjmcfm.com/800x600/main.html

106.3 The Beat sounded pretty generic to me and I much prefer KJMC but The Beat was a true r and b/hip hop station musically and the first time the format had a commercial outlet in Des Moines to my knowledge. I am sure the format would have survived if Clear Channel wasn't having its own station damaged so strongly in the ratings by it.

Posts: 127 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarkP
Member # 927

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarkP   Author's Homepage   Email MarkP         Edit/Delete Post 
More comments here

http://www.radio-info.com/mods/board?Post=392099&Board=iowa

Posts: 127 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaleo23
Member # 964

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaleo23   Email jaleo23         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, all I have to say is sometimes that's the way the cookie crumbles. Another dumb-a** bomb dropped by Clear Channel [Roll Eyes] . They might wind up doing like Infinity did in Austin and be forced to bring the format back. Then they will be begging and repenting to get its listeners back.
Posts: 54 | From: Birmingham (AL) | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarkP
Member # 927

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarkP   Author's Homepage   Email MarkP         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree this was a dumb move, Clear Channel has some other FMs in Des Moines that were doing quite a bit worse in the ratings than 106.3 The Beat.

In more positive news, it looks like much of the Fresno area now has an urban AC KMPH 107.5

radiojunkie
Member # 884

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for radiojunkie   Author's Homepage   Email radiojunkie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well check this out:

http://www.whotv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3187357

Posts: 24 | From: Ft. Worth, Texas | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaleo23
Member # 964

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaleo23   Email jaleo23         Edit/Delete Post 
Hum! I guess Clear Channel Des Moines will now have the State of Iowa up their a**. I bet they are thinking twice about that format change at the 106.3 frequency now.

[ 04-12-2005, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: jaleo23 ]

Posts: 54 | From: Birmingham (AL) | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for darnell   Author's Homepage   Email darnell         Edit/Delete Post 
^ Honestly I doubt they are feeling bad at all.

Some politicians will make a little noise to keep a few folks happy and this will all go away.

0 = Number of politicians that fear for their jobs over this.

(Want a stations that plays what you want. Get all those angry people together to fund a community run signal. Hey, that's the answer no matter how hard a job it may be.)

Posts: 1673 | From: Suwanee, GA, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarkP
Member # 927

Member Rated:
Just to point out once again, Des Moines does have a quality community run signal - KJMC in the urban format.

The Beat did much better than anyone expected in Des Moines (and better than several CC stations that have retained their formats in the market). If one of CC's competitors is smart they will put the format on a competing signal.

darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for darnell   Author's Homepage   Email darnell         Edit/Delete Post 
Really my point is, so long as a radio conglomerate is looked to as the solution they will remain the problem. And this really is not a matter for government to resolve.
Posts: 1673 | From: Suwanee, GA, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjay
Member # 30

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjay   Email mjay         Edit/Delete Post 
106.3 The Beat in Des Moines had some fairly good ratings with it coming in at a 5 share, it's sad to see that CC dropped the format for a Jack-FM type format. I don't mean to sound negative but I had a funny feeling that CC wasn't planning to keep that format very long like they do on some of the others stations it owns,

I'm also wondering if they flipped the format because the format was selling in Des Moines and it wasn't picking up any revenue which would probably be the main reason for the flip.

Posts: 252 | From: Dallas,Texas USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarkP
Member # 927

Member Rated:
The story that will not go away, number 7 in the newly released ratings but killed to bring up the numbers of the top 40 which had been faltering

http://www.dmregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050421/ENT04/504210418/1046/ENT

darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
From the article:
quote:
McCrea said that it was hard to drum up advertising for the Beat in Des Moines.

[ 04-22-2005, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: darnell ]

MarkP
Member # 927

Member Rated:
Maybe CC didn't work hard enough to change attitudes of advertisers? And when the numbers of their formerly top rated top 40 station Kiss were cut in half by the Beat they freaked out. I am just speculating.
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
They tried it and it didn't work out. Just because trash style Hip Hop/R&B works in some areas does not mean the business community in every American city will take to it. And Thank God some still don't get it. This trash monster has grown enough as it is.

Black Radio was better when the "NWA Style" of Hip Hop was not getting any airplay at all. Now that mess tops charts. Any limits for it in any area is a small blessing. Church goers in Des Moines should be praising God for it this weekend.

Every business knows (mine included) that not every town takes well to your product. Especially when it comes to winning ad deals.

They tried "hard enough" to run the station with that format and have made it a hit in other cities. So I think its safe to say they know how to market it to businesses in areas where it is accepted.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Darnell's Black Radio Guide Front Page | Privacy Statement

copyrightę 2004 by Mountain Top Enterprises LLC, All Rights Reserved.