Darnell's Black Radio Guide

Darnell's Black Radio Guide - Message Bo   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Darnell's Black Radio Guide - Message Bo » Station Related » What you have to say about a station » I06.3 the beat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I06.3 the beat
look4peoples
Member # 1049

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for look4peoples   Email look4peoples         Edit/Delete Post 
i think it is wrong how they just turned off the station with out any notice to the listeners now that aint cool cuz now we have to listen to 107.5 and that aint tight. man this state is messed up no wonder people hate it, it aint hardly no blacks up here and when we find something that makes us happy the white man takes it away can't a sista get a break? [Mad 2]
Posts: 28 | From: west desmoines iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarkP
Member # 927

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarkP   Author's Homepage   Email MarkP         Edit/Delete Post 
As I stated in a message elsewhere on the board,
I agree this was an unnecessary and disappointing move and the ratings of the station didn't justify it.

Posts: 127 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
look4peoples
Member # 1049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for look4peoples   Email look4peoples         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea it's good to know i aint the only one they need to tell the truth them white parents and occasionally black parents didn't want there kids listenin to it so they complained if they were going to shut it off they could of atleast told the truth man they is straight up dirty for that one!!!
Posts: 28 | From: west desmoines iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for darnell   Author's Homepage   Email darnell         Edit/Delete Post 
Its kind of easy to sometimes resort to race based reasoning when something like this happens. But the crime and filth glorified on some stations affects Black people the most. There are plenty of Black parents (not just "occasionally") that have a major problem with this as they very well should.

This is not about race. It's about money.

Running a station with smut is a little harder to do in a community that refuses to accept it. The negative attention makes it harder to hold on to advertisers and as a result makes the whole venture less profitable.

If only more parents cared enough to complain the open airwaves might have a lot less filth today.

Many of the first time offenders I've mentored had to be taught how the trash on the radio was impacting their own actions.

The KKK could not have devised a better plan to put Black people in a perpetual state of self destruction! Good that some people care enough to stand up against it!

If the real truth is that parents were the major reason for filth getting pulled, then I congratulate those parents for their efforts.

[ 04-11-2005, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: darnell ]

Posts: 1673 | From: Suwanee, GA, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjay
Member # 30

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjay   Email mjay         Edit/Delete Post 
look4peoples, Mark P posted this in another post on this site but you click on the link below to post your comments as well.

http://www.radio-info.com/mods/board?Post=392099&Board=iowa

Posts: 252 | From: Dallas,Texas USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
look4peoples
Member # 1049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for look4peoples   Email look4peoples         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally don't think hip hop music was filth my reason is because if some kids can listen to music talking about cutting themselves and suicide why can't other kids listen to something less depressing like rap or hip hop! Now i'm starting to get mad because your basically taking the little music we have in an almost all white state away from us! That one was mostly for you darnell. Music does not have an impact on what people do, people have an impact on what they do and that is the truth. Thank you mjay for the little link at the bottom.
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for darnell   Author's Homepage   Email darnell         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by look4peoples:
Now i'm starting to get mad because your basically taking the little music we have in an almost all white state away from us! That one was mostly for you darnell.

Nothing I've never heard before.

Assume the entertainment has no impact on the culture if you wish. But it's doing it and that's why many of those artists won't even let their own kids listen to it.

I really don't care if someone is upset about what I feel should be removed. Its destroying a people and many can't even see it. I didn't take anything away. (Oh yea, I would shut down every one of the smut monster stations if I could!) But I sure hope more people realize it does far more harm than good. Because nothing will change for better until people see it for themselves. Hip Hop was not always what it has become. It could do well without the mess.

[ 04-15-2005, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: darnell ]

Posts: 1673 | From: Suwanee, GA, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
look4peoples
Member # 1049

Rate Member
I agree with you on the hip hop doesn't need all of that mess, but it does have alot of mess in it. So what are we supposed to do huh? Are we to just going to sit back and listen to Kelly Clarkson, Hillary Duff, oh yeah this one is my favorite Simple Plan! I say no more,this is the United States we as a people have the right to freedom of speech. If i want to listen to Fifty Cent talking about the Magic Stick then let me. But do not take away the music because you feel it's filth( i wasn't talking about you directly). Let us decide what's filth or not, let us decide what we want to listen to, let us be our own persons. Because if you opress us to long it will be only a matter of time until we snap! That is just something people are going to have to wake up and realize.
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by look4peoples:
I agree with you on the hip hop doesn't need all of that mess, but it does have alot of mess in it. So what are we supposed to do huh?

Reject it!

quote:

Are we to just going to sit back and listen to Kelly Clarkson, Hillary Duff, oh yeah this one is my favorite Simple Plan!

Support those that don't trash your sisters and themselves. Those that don't lead Black youth to feel success is based on how many women they can sleep with, how much weed they can smoke and how big the rims are on their vehicle! You don't see people like Kelly Clarkson singing mess because parents in that fan base won't have it! And look at their school drop-out rate compared to 50 Cent's fan base!

quote:

I say no more,this is the United States we as a people have the right to freedom of speech. If i want to listen to Fifty Cent talking about the Magic Stick then let me. But do not take away the music because you feel it's filth( i wasn't talking about you directly). Let us decide what's filth or not, let us decide what we want to listen to, let us be our own persons.

Then you can pay for it via satellite, cable or get it over the Internet! The First Ammendment does not guarantee you filth on the open free airwaves. (You might want to read up on US history a bit. Some broadcasts have always been inappropriate and your view of the 1st Ammendment is a bit off.) A community can say "no" to having something on the open airwaves. Which is why the FCC uses a community standards rule. Also Clear Channel does not owe Black people A DANG THING!! They own the signal, if they want pure Polka 24/7 its their signal to run as they and their investors see fit!

quote:

Because if you opress us to long it will be only a matter of time until we snap! That is just something people are going to have to wake up and realize.

Oh yea, a radio company finding a certain format does not work for them is "opression". Give me a break! I'm tired of this crybaby mess from Black folks as if seeing some trash station go away is gonna destroy Blacks as a people [Roll Eyes] ! This mess is ridiculous! Black folks crying because a radio company removed a format! Today there are plenty of options for music! Don't like what Clear Channel did, use one of the other options!

To "snap" won't do anything but put yourself in a jail cell or a coffin. That's what YOU are going to have to realize! Instead of being upset about a station's choices use one of the other options or work with others to start your own business to make your own offerings! If you know what your market wants then that creates an opportunity for you. Makes no sense to desire that others exploit that opportunity.

[ 04-17-2005, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: darnell ]

BLAckadeLIC
Member # 472

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLAckadeLIC           Edit/Delete Post 
Will there ever come a time when Black ownership stands up and does the right thing 2wards our community regardless of dollar signs??? I mean putting an end 2 the filth on the air. Standing up and saying "NOT ON MY WATCH". An end 2 just str8 up bad music would be a start. When r these people going 2 be held accountable 4 the crap that they continue 2 pour into our childrens ears??? [Mad] [Mad 2]
Posts: 19 | From: Indianapolis | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BLAckadeLIC
Member # 472

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLAckadeLIC           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup...one day history is gonna write a sad, pathetic, yet oh so true song about how Black owned radio helped with vigor, poison the very people it was "supposed" 2 serve. Alright...I'm done. Back 2 my IPOD.
Posts: 19 | From: Indianapolis | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
look4peoples
Member # 1049

Rate Member
Applause,appalause that is what i was trying to get people to say! Thank you darnell you have made me proud! What i was saying is what alot of kids have been telling me. If you see it and other people see it, then why don't these other teens see it. Because their young and they don't understand the whole meaning behind what they are saying, so i am closing this argument;I am happy to know other african americans agree with me on the matter of the station. Thank you [Smile] [Wink]
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Well I pray you can help the kids up there. I've had the misfortune of learning first hand in trying to help kids that not all ever really "get it". But Thank God some do once its broken down for them.
D.C.Bailey
Member # 637

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for D.C.Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email D.C.Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe, as a responsible part of society we should
be more diligent about the use of birth control
and when we do decide to have a child we will be
sure to supervise our children as well as teach
them the value in ownership. I'm referring to home
ownership as well as business ownership. Look4peo-
oles, instead of whining about whitey removing
your favorite music format why not consider start-
ing your own radio station. We are always crying
about what whitey took away from us. This is what
is known as "slave mentality". Why is it that we
are always depending upon others when we need (and
are capable) to learn to do for ourselves. This is
not some fantasy that can never be achieved. As a
matter of fact is has already been done. Simple
research of recent history shows that during jim
crow when the South was still severely segregated
in most cities of the South Blacks owned and oper-
ated all manner of business and industry from real
estate and insurance to hair product factories and
entertainment venues. If we as a people can accom-
plish these things under such a stifling system of
jim crow (and at a time when most Blacks had only
a fraction of the education that the average Black
has today) the possibilities of what we can do to-
day boggle the mind. As I've said before, we need
to either sh*t or get off the pot!
DC Bailey
Century Broadcasting

Posts: 78 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
look4peoples
Member # 1049

Rate Member
Okay first of all D.C Bailey you would of reconized that all those comments were from people complaing to me about the station, i took what thet said to me and put it into my own so that other's can respond. And lucky me, they did. Evething that Darnell and the other user was saying was exactly if not a little bit different of what i was saying. You got good views BUT before you come at someone how about reading first.
pumpin
Member # 7

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pumpin           Edit/Delete Post 
All I have to say about this is if the station was getting good ratings, it didn't make sense to take it off NO MATTER WHAT THE FORMAT WAS.
If station formats aren't about race and just about money, than this was a stupid move. All I know about the state of Iowa is that it is majority caucasian, but a lot of younger whites do listen to hip-hop music. It would be different if we were having this discussion in 1985 when the music didn't have as much crossover appeal.
I realize a lot of hip-hop is not the most positive, but unless the record labels and media companies offer an alternative to it, hip-hop will continue to sell.
Also, hip-hop music is not to blame for problems in the black community. A lot of these problems existed LONG BEFORE hip-hop came into the picture. Don't use the music as a scapegoat, that's too easy. The Game or Jay-Z cannot make anyone do anything they don't want to do.
One has to use their own mind. Problems in the black (or any other) community has to do with a proper upbringing by your family. As the saying goes, it all starts in the home.
I also wanted to make a comment about what Darnell said about Clear Channel not owing the black community anything. Darnell, I think you are so wrong. First off, companies like Clear Channel, Emmis, Infinity, Radio One, etc would not be where they are today without the support of the general public. Whether they are black, white, green or purple.
If PEOPLE stop supporting them, they would have to shut down. Don't feed into these companies' arrogance. That is why commercial radio bites!!! With the emergence of XM and Sirius satellite radio, they need to be doing all they can to keep listeners. That includes keeping formats that will draw the listeners, whether it is: Kelly Clarkson, Jesse McCartney, 50 Cent or Jay-Z.

Posts: 27 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Still crippled...so sad...

Crippled by Their Culture

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Darnell's Black Radio Guide Front Page | Privacy Statement

copyrightę 2004 by Mountain Top Enterprises LLC, All Rights Reserved.