Darnell's Black Radio Guide

Darnell's Black Radio Guide - Message Bo   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Darnell's Black Radio Guide - Message Bo » Press Area » Black News » More African-Americans turn to home schooling

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More African-Americans turn to home schooling
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for darnell   Author's Homepage   Email darnell         Edit/Delete Post 
More African-Americans turn to home schooling

quote:
As a group, home-schooled children score significantly better on standardized tests than students in public or private schools, according to a growing body of research. Also, many colleges accept home schoolers at least as often, if not more often, than applicants from traditional schools, advocates say.
Studies show African-American children have been disproportionately placed in remedial education classes, are deemed hyperactive and are disciplined more harshly in schools. Disproportionately small numbers of black students are taking Advanced Placement courses or are targeted for honors classes.

"There are theories, but nobody can pinpoint why," said James. "Educators are blaming parents, saying they're not getting their children ready enough for school. And parents blame the schools, saying they're not teaching their child, and that there may be subtle or overt racism going on."

Home schooling, James said, restores a level playing field in education, affected mostly by parents' commitment and initiative. Several studies from the late 1990s show no significant gaps in test scores or academic performance between minority home-schoolers and white home-schoolers.

Now this is what I'm talking about! These parents saw an issue and took up the challenge themselves to better the situation. They looked to themselves to ensure it was done "right", since they felt others were not doing it.

Now given they are home schooling their kids I think government funds that normally would go to a school if their kids were in it should go right into those parents' pockets! They're doing the job, they should get the money!

Posts: 1673 | From: Suwanee, GA, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
look4peoples
Member # 1049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for look4peoples   Email look4peoples         Edit/Delete Post 
that's bull my cousins are home schooled and every since they were takin out of public schools each one of those kids aren't right in the mind. Not to mention that they wouldn't have a social life. It's good that the parents are taking a stand up but what about the consequences?
Posts: 28 | From: west desmoines iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for darnell   Author's Homepage   Email darnell         Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding kids doing bad in home schools....consider the teacher. Many others are doing well in home schools. If a parent can't control their own kids, then a teacher at a public school will do no better. No matter if public or home schooled, parental involement is the key and if they can't make it in a home school, then public school won't have any more success in the end. Since your cousins are in home school and you see a problem, that creates an opportunity for you to drop in sometimes and help out. So members of your family do better.

The consequences in most cases are kids that perform better than they did before. Given they are getting individualized attention, from a teacher that cares more than any other...their parent(s).

Education is more important than a social life. The sorry side of Black culture is what has gotten many "sociable" Black kids in trouble! The non-sociable ones are many of the kids doing better in school and ultimately better in life!

[ 05-06-2005, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: darnell ]

Posts: 1673 | From: Suwanee, GA, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
look4peoples
Member # 1049

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for look4peoples   Email look4peoples         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a Straight A student and i was sociable, and I'm black, and I'm doin better in life. So are you trying to say that black kids doin bad in school are the ones who have a social life? You're contradicting yourself.
Posts: 28 | From: west desmoines iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for darnell   Author's Homepage   Email darnell         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't say "I'm doing better in life" given you've never lived your life after being home schooled.

What we do know is that children given individual attention often do better. Children that are disciplined also do better. There is no better individual to give that individual attention and discipline than a parent.

And most kids that do the best in school are the ones that stay more to themselves and go home to study at night. Instead of trying to hang out and impress their friends. Especially in rough neighborhoods!

It is rather ridiculous to claim others can do the job better than a parent.

[ 05-24-2005, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: darnell ]

darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
To anyone that doubts my view, I ask you to offer factual data that disputes this information:
Homeschool Statistics

quote:
Minority Performance
Home school - average reading score (white) - 87 percentile; Public school - average reading score (white) - 61 percentile

Home school - average reading score (minority) - 87 percentile; Public school - average reading score (minority) -49 percent

Home school - average math score (white) - 82 percentile; Public school - average math score (white) - 60 percentile

Home school - average math score (minority) - 77 percentile; Public school - average math score (minority) - 50 percentile

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Darnell's Black Radio Guide Front Page | Privacy Statement

copyrightę 2004 by Mountain Top Enterprises LLC, All Rights Reserved.