Darnell's Black Radio Guide

Darnell's Black Radio Guide - Message Bo   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Darnell's Black Radio Guide - Message Bo » Press Area » Black News » Mexico's President degrades Blacks!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mexico's President degrades Blacks!
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for darnell   Author's Homepage   Email darnell         Edit/Delete Post 
Mexico's Fox toughens talk on U.S. immigration law

quote:
MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexican President Vicente Fox called recent U.S. measures to stem illegal immigration a step back for bilateral relations on Friday and said Mexican migrants do jobs "that not even blacks want to do."

In comments likely to raise the temperature of the immigration debate, Fox defended the role of undocumented Mexican workers in the United States to a group of Texas business people meeting in Mexico.

"There is no doubt that Mexicans, filled with dignity, willingness and ability to work are doing jobs that not even blacks want to do there in the United States," he said in a speech broadcast in part on local radio and reported on newspaper web sites.

This is why I am always saying that we Blacks must refuse to accept any attempts to label us as a broke bottom of the barrel group of people. While I lash out at some trash within our culture we cannot accept being degraded like this. I mean the man basically sees Blacks as being lesser than all other races in the USA. This is the textbook definition of racism!

All I have to say is, if I lived in a border state I'd be a part of the Minuteman Project too! And I think they are doing a great thing!

I've got no problem with legal immagration, but illegals running over the boarder are a smack in the face of all who are waiting to enter legally!

[ 05-15-2005, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: darnell ]

Posts: 1673 | From: Suwanee, GA, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for darnell   Author's Homepage   Email darnell         Edit/Delete Post 
Mexican president backtracks after racist comment

And I say his comments were a reflection of his heart and culture of his country!

quote:
While racial epithets related to Indian heritage are taboo in Mexico, friends and stranger alike can be heard addressing each other by nicknames based on physical appearance, including skin color.

"I don't know what to tell you," said Marco Antonio Ruiz, a laborer from Mexico City, when asked whether Fox's comment was appropriate.

"Many people cross the border to do work as laborers, work in restaurants, work in the fields," he said. "The gringos don't do it."

All stated with the view that Blacks belong on the bottom [Mad] [Mad 2] !!! They have gone beyond the "no American will do it" rhetoric to playing on race [Mad] !!!

Well plenty of Americans did it before them!

Posts: 1673 | From: Suwanee, GA, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for darnell   Author's Homepage   Email darnell         Edit/Delete Post 
Mexico's Fox Regrets Comment About Blacks

National Urban League President Morial Criticizes Negative Comments by Mexican President Fox About African American Workers; Calls on Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to Admonish Fox

quote:
Too many of us are working on economic policies to lift up all American workers, and President Fox's insensitive statements are not productive and just plain foolish. Our own Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice should communicate to the Mexican government that President Fox's statement was neither appropriate nor warranted." said Marc Morial, President and CEO, National Urban League.

darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Fox offers "regret" for any "misinterpretation", but no apology [Roll Eyes] .

Fox defends record after gaffe on race

Hey, where he comes from trashing Blacks is par for the course... There have been so many issues with race in his country he's comfortable with the fact that he's doing better than many of his predecessors [Roll Eyes] .

Maybe he should have just said "look I've given you coloreds some bones now get off my back". Cause that's my "interpretation" of his position.

He makes me happier that I've always supported efforts he is against.

darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Magazine Exec Urges Black Business Out of Mexico

quote:
Earl Graves, the 68-year-old founder of Black Enterprise magazine, says he's not a civil rights activist but a businessman.

In that role, he's urging African-Americans to take their vacation business out of Mexico in the wake of President Vicente Fox's comments that "not even" blacks want the U.S. jobs taken by Mexican immigrants.

"I don't think it was insensitive; it was racist," said Mr. Graves in an interview in Dallas, where he opened the 10th annual Black Enterprise Entrepreneurs Conference.

darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Mexican stamp called offensive to blacks

quote:
The Mexican government has issued a postage stamp depicting an exaggerated black cartoon character known as Memin Pinguin, just weeks after remarks by President Vicente Fox angered U.S. blacks.
"One would hope the Mexican government would be a little more careful and avoid continually opening wounds," said Sergio Penalosa, an activist in Mexico's small black community on the southern Pacific coast.

"But we've learned to expect anything from this government, just anything," Penalosa said. In May, Fox riled many by saying that Mexican migrants take jobs in the United States that "not even blacks" want.

Fox expressed regret for any offense the remarks may have caused, but insisted his comments had been misinterpreted.

Carlos Caballero, assistant marketing director for the Mexican Postal Service, said the stamps are not offensive, nor were they intended to be.

"This is a traditional character that reflects part of Mexico's culture," Caballero said. "His mischievous nature is part of that character."

However, Penalosa said many Mexicans still assume all blacks are foreigners, despite the fact that at one point early in the Spanish colonial era, Africans outnumbered Spanish in Mexico.

darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for darnell   Author's Homepage   Email darnell         Edit/Delete Post 
Mexico's Fox Says New Stamp Not Racist

quote:
President Vicente Fox said Friday that U.S. activists who have called a new Mexican postage stamp racist do not understand the issue and should read the comic book on which it is based.

They don't have information, frankly," Fox said in an exclusive interview with The Associated Press.

U.S. black activists and the White House have criticized the stamp featuring Memin Pinguin, a black-faced image of a child that has been condemned as racist.

"By no means is Mexico considering the possibility" of withdrawing the stamp, Aguilar said, accusing critics of being "people who want to take advantage of this ... to seek publicity within American society."

The stamps were being offered on eBay at prices topping $200 for a full sheet. Hundreds of people lined up at Mexico City's main post office to buy them for 6.50 pesos — about 60 U.S. cents — when they went on sale Friday.

darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Mexico's black minority demands apology for stamps

quote:
Mexico's tiny black community demanded on Monday that President Vicente Fox apologize for a set of stamps featuring a black comic book figure that U.S. civil rights groups have slammed as racist.

The Asociacion Mexico Negro, which represents some 50,000 blacks living on the Pacific coast, said in a letter to Fox that Memin Pinguin, a 1940s comic book character drawn with thick lips and a flat nose, was stereotypical and racist.
"The stamps are 101 percent offensive, there is no doubt about it," said Rev. Glyn Jemmott, a Catholic priest in the 98 percent black village of El Ciruelo in Guerrero state, and one of the signatories of the letter.

"What is evident is the level of tolerance of racism that exists in the country. We are accustomed to racism to the point where anyone who dares question it runs the risk of being considered unpatriotic," he told Reuters by telephone.
Mexicans are often accused of discrimination against Indians, who often live hand to mouth in poor communities.

Their lack of sensitivity to racism against blacks may be worse because Mexicans so rarely see black people.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Darnell's Black Radio Guide Front Page | Privacy Statement

copyright© 2004 by Mountain Top Enterprises LLC, All Rights Reserved.