Darnell's Black Radio Guide

Darnell's Black Radio Guide - Message Bo   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Darnell's Black Radio Guide - Message Bo » Press Area » Black News » Clinton regrets personal failure on Rwanda genocide

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clinton regrets personal failure on Rwanda genocide
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for darnell   Author's Homepage   Email darnell         Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton Again Regrets Failure to Stop Genocide

quote:
'I was the government of the United States in 1994' (when Rwanda Genocide took place), former US President Bill Clinton said Saturday, as he recalled his personal failure to stop the worst human catastrophe in recent history.

"I feel a special commitment because of the way Rwandans reacted. I didn't express the regrets of my government, I expressed regrets for my personal failure," Clinton admitted during his last leg of a five-Africa nation tour.

He became the first world leader to express remorse for having not stopped the Genocide during his first visit to the country in 1998 when he was still the president.

And it is partly because of this blunder, he said, that he couldn't ignore Rwanda in his global anti-Aids initiative, the Clinton Foundation.

Since 2002, the Clinton Foundation HIV/Aids Initiative has been assisting countries in implementing large-scale, integrated care, treatment and prevention programs, has provided access to prices for HIV/Aids drugs and diagnostics that are 50-90 percent lower than market rates. Approximately 40 countries have access to medicines and tests under the Clinton Foundation's agreements.

Before coming to Rwanda for his third visit, Clinton visited Mozambique, Lesotho, Tanzania and Kenya. He also visited the country in 2002.

Since this story mentions some efforts to deal with the spread of AIDS in Africa, here is another interesting article: Circumcision may offer Africa AIDS hope, Procedure linked to much lower rate of new HIV infections

This has been a "theory" for many years given the high spread of AIDS in Africa amoung both homosexuals and heterosexuals. While in America and other Western countries the growth rate is slower amoung heterosexuals. So this may be the first step to fully proving that theory.

Posts: 1673 | From: Suwanee, GA, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Darnell's Black Radio Guide Front Page | Privacy Statement

copyrightę 2004 by Mountain Top Enterprises LLC, All Rights Reserved.