Darnell's Black Radio Guide

Darnell's Black Radio Guide - Message Bo   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Darnell's Black Radio Guide - Message Bo » General » The Music » Luther Vandross Dead At Age 54

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Luther Vandross Dead At Age 54
Remnant
Member # 523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remnant           Edit/Delete Post 
Luther Vandross passed away today, 7/1/05. The story is at the following link:
http://www.radioandrecords.com/Newsroom/2005_07_01/topstory.asp

Posts: 145 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted      Profile for darnell   Author's Homepage   Email darnell         Edit/Delete Post 
RIP!
Posts: 1673 | From: Suwanee, GA, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for darnell   Author's Homepage   Email darnell         Edit/Delete Post 
This article has a few more details:
Grammy Winner Luther Vandross Dies at 54

quote:
Vandross died at 1:47 p.m. at the John F. Kennedy Medical Center in Edison, N.J., said hospital spokesman Rob Cavanaugh. Cavanaugh did not release the cause of death.

Posts: 1673 | From: Suwanee, GA, USA | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Remnant
Member # 523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remnant           Edit/Delete Post 
During the late afternoon/early evening, several stations were paying tribute to Luther Vandross by airing only his music (some were taken calls from listeners) including WRKS-FM New York, KJLH-FM Los Angeles, WVAZ-FM Chicago, WMXD-FM Detroit, WDAS-FM Philadelphia, WALR-FM Atlanta, KMJM-FM St. Louis, KISQ-FM San Francisco, KJMS-FM Memphis, KHYL-FM Sacramento, WCFB-FM Orlando, WBHK-FM Birmingham, KVGS-FM Las Vegas and WKUS-FM Norfolk.
Posts: 145 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for darnell   Author's Homepage   Email darnell         Edit/Delete Post 
It's moments like this when the pre-programed jockless stuff simply can't compare to a station with a personality DJ.
jaleo23
Member # 964

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaleo23   Email jaleo23         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Mr. Darnell,

I find it so funny that none of the Radio One owned stations are part of that list. Cathy Hughes deserves to be slapped for being so disrespectful. By the way, RIP, Mr. Ronzoni Luther Vandross.

Posts: 54 | From: Birmingham (AL) | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Here in Atlanta Radio One station WAMJ 102.5 FM (Classic Soul 102.5) had similar coverage to other stations that allowed people to send their condolences to his family.

Remnant's list does not have Radio One stations because they usually don't webcast. I'm sure their stations in other areas all had similar coverage.

MarkP
Member # 927

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarkP   Author's Homepage   Email MarkP         Edit/Delete Post 
Luther was one of the great ones.

I have many favorite Luther songs.

My all-time favorite may still be If This World Were Mine with Cheryl Lynn. The song has always brought chills up my spine. One of the few remade songs that is equal and perhaps even superior to the original.

Posts: 127 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarkP
Member # 927

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarkP   Author's Homepage   Email MarkP         Edit/Delete Post 
Got to also give an honorable mention to "The Glow of Love". I am partial to Luther's early 80s work but it was all pretty darn good.
Posts: 127 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darnell
Member # 5

Member Rated:
Fans brave downpour to bid Vandross farewell

quote:
Hundreds of grieving fans toting posters and shouting farewells turned out in the pouring rain today to pay final respects to R&B crooner Luther Vandross.

The fans lined 125th Street as the singer's funeral procession passed Harlem's renowned Apollo Theater on its way to Riverside Church, where his funeral was held.

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Darnell's Black Radio Guide Front Page | Privacy Statement

copyrightę 2004 by Mountain Top Enterprises LLC, All Rights Reserved.